3D smoke: taking Pixel Bender to the next dimension

One final thing I wanted to achieve with smoke effects is to port the 2D simulation to 3D. Early results in pure AS3 were pretty disappointing, so again I turned to Pixel Bender and its speedy goodness. Still, the main obstacle was of course performance. The first step was to optimize the original 2D version…

Image bleeding with water (Flash + PixelBender)

The last 2 months, I’ve been investing 99% of my free time into the next iteration of Farbe, turning it into a real Flex-based image editing tool simulating natural media. Although there’s nothing of the application itself that I can show yet, today I created another small proof of concept for it that I can…

Experimenting with Alchemy: of Smoke, Milk, and Ink

Thanks to Ralph Hauwert’s blogpost pushing a baffling >300.000 particles using Alchemy, I finally got the much needed motivation to try out Alchemy myself. To be able to get started asap, I decided to return to something I’ve done before: fluid and smoke dynamics, but with a different algorithm (see Mike West’s article on Gamedev).…

Flash watercolour simulation (using PixelBender)

Something I’ve been thinking about doing for a long time is imitating real artistic media, in particular watercolours. Not because I’m an avid watercolour painter (last time I’ve touched them was in kindergarten), but because I think it’s an interesting dynamic. Since it is mainly fluid dynamics, the idea resurfaced after my previous fluid sims.…

Smoke/fluids simulation using Pixel Bender – part III

The third pass at smoke/fluids simulation again looks quite different from the previous two attempts, but this time it’s stable both when keeping still as while moving. Not surprisingly, as the current approach is more like Stam‘s fluid solver. The downside is that it’s much less processor-friendly: every new step (adding forces, diffusion, advection,¬†updating boundaries,¬†…)…